mid-month check-in

I meant to write last weekend, but I got sidetracked by my insides. Let’s pick-up where I left off.

On Sunday, 1/5, I did something I haven’t done in a long time. I went to a movie. By myself. I saw “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.” I haven’t heard much about it since the onslaught of advertising when it first came out, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Ben Stiller is handsome and charming. He comes into his own in this movie. Plus, Kristen Wiig is adorable. And the movie itself was beautiful. As with most movies, you have to buy into it in order to get swept away with it, and I did. Even as I knew it was happening, I decided to let myself.

On Monday, 1/6, after a tough day at work, I went to the Cattery and was immediately loved on by 2 kittens that just curled up on either side of my neck and purred and slept. That was heavenly.

On Tuesday, 1/7, I made a tri-tip that was really tasty. I don’t really remember much happening on Wednesday or Thursday.

On Friday, I transported D and her friend to church in Carlsbad and headed north to see the folks. We had Panera for dinner and all was well. On Saturday, Dad was sick. He was in bed all day, and I barely saw him. Poor guy. Mom & I had lunch at G Burger, which was tasty and that night she made breaded pork. On Sunday, Dad was feeling better. We had breakfast, and I came home to watch the Chargers lose to Denver (so close!) Then Han & I brought some food in and watched the Golden Globes (yay Cate Blanchett!) The surprise winners for me were Andy Samberg and Brooklyn 999 or whatever it’s called. We tried that show and thought it was terrible. But, who knows? Good for all those SNL alum!

On Monday, I was trying to get myself right. It was the 13th day of January, and I had been reviewing the goals I’d made for myself. I had bought a yummy juice that boasted 32% of your daily recommended fiber. I’d had one before, and it was good. I went to work. Drank my juice and  had my Special K protein bar (as opposed to my usual mocha and sausage sandwich or ham & cheese croissant). Around 10:30 am, I started feeling poorly. I’ll spare you the details, but after several trips to the restroom and laying on the floor of my office for a while, I went home. Once there, I cried. I was in so much abdominal pain. Han was extremely kind. I took a Vicodin and went to sleep.

Later that evening, Mom called to say she had been sick on Sunday night, just like Dad had. When I told her I was also sick (minus vomiting), we couldn’t help but think it was a coincidence. She was feeling better by Monday evening so I was hoping by the next day, I’d feel better, too.

And I did. Tuesday, I went into work. I went back to my usual breakfast fare having feared that I loaded too much fiber into my body, paired with what may have been food poisoning. For lunch, I had buttered noodles and cooked veggies. Very mild. That evening, I went to a poetry reading which was fine, nothing spectacular. I had some hummus and a mocha.

By Wednesday, I still felt okay. Usual breakfast. Mid-day, things went bad again. Discomfort throughout the rest of the day, multiple trips to the restroom and dull pain progressing the rest of the day. Diet 7-Up only that night.

Thursday, I stayed home still in pain, though not as bad as the day before. I made a doctor appointment for Friday. I had water and saltines. For dinner, some noodles with butter & parmesan.

Today, I went back to work. Had saltines and water. At the doctor, I saw a new guy because my regular doctor wasn’t there. He was kind and responsive. He prescribed some antibiotics for diverticulitis, though he’s not sure that’s what it was. To check for food poisoning, he wants me to provide a sample (yikes). But I just called and the lab isn’t open until Tuesday. Great. He did say to increase what I was eating, said to have yogurt. He also gave me referrals to a nutritionist, podiatrist, and dermatologist. So tomorrow, I’ll go and get my prescriptions filled and buy some yogurt, then later next week, I’ll call for those appointments.

Tonight, Han has a gig. He thought it best that I stay home and I had to agree. I’ve spent the evening catching up on my shows from the week (Community, Parks and Recreation, Top Chef, Parenthood). I had more noodles with butter and parmesan and more water. Now I’ve got “Under the Tuscan Sun” on. And I don’t even feel guilty about it.

Oh, one more thing. The Australian Open is happening right now, too. And it is hot down under. I haven’t been following it much what with the time difference and the pain.


2 Comments Add yours

  1. Sandy says:

    Bummer! Sorry you’re feeling poorly 😦

  2. Mia says:

    I’m so sorry you’re feeling so bad. I do hope you have a speedy recovery and I’m glad you are in good hands (doctor). He seems to really listen and take things seriously (which is not always the case here).
    I hope you get better with the antibiotics.
    Take care and get well soon.
    I send you a big get-well-hug from cold Sweden

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s