a full day

Before I tell you about yesterday’s SD adventure, I’ll tell you about today. I did a lot!

It started with volunteering at the San Diego Food Bank. At work, we have volunteer days for the whole company. We have them twice a year. This first one of the year was the food bank. I spent a good hour and a half bagging up tangerines. I met some nice people, and it was a great way to start the day.

After that, I went home and took a quick shower and was off to acupuncture. So heavenly. And it was awesome to tell her that I actually feel really good! All was well. Then it was time for a quick sandwich and then I headed down to Normal Heights to take in some of the Adams Avenue Unplugged Festival. I saw a bunch of my friends, The Lovebirds, Flan, Dead Rock West, then Han played a solo set. It was all good. The weather was chilly and it rained a little, but let’s be serious, I was wearing my Birkenstocks and just a jacket. It was cold for here, but nothing outrageous. In fact, it was awesome that it was so cloudy and moody all day. After Han’s set, I stopped at the grocery store and came home. I made a quick potsticker ‘salad.’ Han went to yet another gig. He’s been playing all day and will do so again tomorrow. It’s been a good day.

So yesterday. I left the house around 11 am, after cleaning up the kitchen and taking care of some other chores. My first stop was Postal Connections. I needed to get some ink refilled, have a passport picture taken, and get some stamps. I love that place! Then a quick roll through Starbucks for a little breakfast and a water and I was on my way.

The weather was like today, overcast, rainy and moody. It was great. The drive out to Julian takes a little over an hour. But it actually took longer because it was SO FOGGY! The roads are windy enough, but when you can’t see more than 10 feet in any direction, things become a little slower. And it was so disorienting because I had no idea where I was half the time. Highlights included seeing two deer right by the road. I’m lucky they didn’t run out in front of me. Once I got into town, I wasn’t sure what to do. I’d brought appropriate clothes but it really wasn’t hiking weather much less walking around weather. I decided I was hungry. It was 1 pm. I drove to a place I’d seen online, Jeremy’s On the Hill. Super good. I had a cup of lobster bisque and the fish and chips. Very tasty. After lunch, I figured I’d walk around a little. I went into a bookstore and looked around a little. Then I went across the street to the Julian Pie Company and got a slice of Dutch apple with cinnamon ice cream and a hot chocolate. Yes, my no sweets streak came to another end. But man, it was good. I took a call from my dad who, unfortunately, was at the ER. He’s okay, but I needed to pass a message to my mom from him because he couldn’t reach her. I texted her but didn’t hear back. I finished my pie quickly, bought a whole pie to take home, took it to the car and headed to the cemetery. On the way, I called my mom and gave her the message. Then, with hot chocolate in hand, scarf on my head, I climbed up to the Pioneer Cemetery, one thing I had never done but always wanted to do in Julian. It was cold. Foggy and rainy. As I went up the stairs that were really just railroad ties, I saw what I think was a wild turkey walking through. I just looked up images of a wild turkey, and this thing didn’t look like that but I have no idea what other kind of bird it could be. Anyway, I walked around for a while, checking out the old headstones. I find cemeteries to be rather comforting for some reason. I never want to be buried, I want to be cremated, but I do like seeing the headstones. Makes me think about the people they were and their stories. After a while, I made my way back to the car and headed down the mountain. I guess by then it was about 3:30 pm. On the way back, I made a turn and took the Sunrise Highway up to Mt. Laguna, somewhere I’d never been. Of course, again, with the fog, it still feels like I haven’t been there because I couldn’t see any of it! And after I’d gotten to the summit and passed the visitor’s center, I was slipping into a bit of a food coma. I had to pull over. I pulled over into a closed lodge/saloon, the Blue Jay Lodge. I don’t know why it was closed. It kind of freaked me out more than the cemetery! Anyway, I pulled into the turnout in front of the lodge, and the next thing I knew I was waking up suddenly! I hadn’t been asleep long, but I was startled a bit. I decided to get out and walk around a bit. I just went up to the lodge and looked in the windows of the restaurant. Then I changed my socks to dry ones and took off my jacket and got ready to get back on the road. The rest of the drive was smooth sailing. It stayed foggy pretty much until I got back to the freeway. I was cruising the 8 west by 5 pm. From there, I stopped at the grocery store and went home. Han was already gone for his gig. I made that kale, sausage, white bean soup and then I watched some TV. I went to bed around 10 pm.

It was a good day, but I think I’d like a do-over of this adventure when the weather’s better.

today’s draft


it is fitting that fog covered everything
I was hoping for a breakthrough
but like my memory
the scene was obscured

it doesn’t feel like coincidence
that I ended up here now
I was expecting to confront ghosts
but all I got was a cemetery in the mist


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s